Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

New, Used or Abused

No, I am not referring to people for those wondering. Rather I am taking about different conditions you can buy or acquire boats. It has also been almost a week since i updated you all on my status. Which can simply be summed up... no progress. BUT BUT, before you think i am just a big talker i am planning tonight once i get everything done today to work until midnight on my portfolio.
Anyways, back to the topic at hand....
On Sunday I online when was online, surfing the net. I stopped one of the blogs (HoboSailor:HoboSailor | Facebook) i follow on their facebook page only to find at the very bottom, their first post a documentary called: Hold Fast (http://vimeo.com/15351476). It is a 1:15:45 long documentary about a group of four people finding, fixing up an old fiberglass yacht and sailing it in the Caribbean. I shall not say anymore for those interested in watching it.
Watching that documentary got me thinking about other ways of acquiring or buying a boat. And also brought up the topic of Derelict boats again for which, i have searched in the past. So instead of spending say... 20,000, 50,000 or even 100,000 on a used boat; I could find a derelicts or abandoned boat and fix her up. Of course that would mean getting her very cheap or better free. Just the thing is, once i've got the boat i have to get her hauled out and trailered to my parents house where i can work on her. Easier said that done, since i only know of two haul out locations on Vancouver Island. However, when you consider everything, even if it costs 4,000-6,000 to repair and fix the boat; I still save a lot of money. Not to mention if I can get it really cheap, well, it would be hard to sell any boat these days with the market flooded with so many.

I have hoping to make my search easier posted ads on UsedVictoria and Sailnet to get the word out that I am looking for such a thing. But since I am also busy with my studies i doubt i'll be able to do anything to that boat (if I happen to find one before the end of October) until mid December.

No matter where you go in the world you are going to encounter places were derelict abandoned boats have come to rest. Majestic vessels of the sea, left to degrade and fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment